As you might be aware, the side eye makeup look is getting tremendous popularity these early days of 2023, and that is because of its dramatic and amazing look that can add such a beautiful touch that can make everyone stunning. In this blog post, we will go through the step-by-step guide which will make it easy for you to learn and apply.
method Eyebrow Pen: Method Eyebrow Makeup, Eyebrow Pencil with a Micro-Fork Tip Applicator Creates Natural-Looking Brows Effortlessly and Stays on All Day, Light Brown
- Smudge-Proof, Long-Lasting
- Skin Type: Dry
Table of Contents
Step 1: Prep and prime your eyelids
Before you start with the eyeshadow, it’s important to prep and prime your eyelids to ensure that the colors appear vibrant and last longer. According to makeup artist and beauty blogger, Maya Ahmed, “Using an eye primer not only helps the eyeshadow to stay put, but it also creates a smooth base for your eyeshadow.”
Use an eye primer that suits your skin type and apply it all over your eyelids using your fingertips. This will help create a smooth base for your eyeshadow.
Step 2: Apply a transition shade
To create depth and dimension in your side-eye makeup look, start by applying a transition shade that complements your skin tone. Use a fluffy blending brush to apply the transition shade to the crease of your eyelid and blend it outwards towards your temple. This will help create a gradient effect and make it easier to blend the darker shades later on.
Pro tip: Choose a transition shade that is slightly darker than your skin tone for a more defined look.
Step 3: Add the smoky effect
To achieve the smoky effect of side-eye makeup, use a dark eyeshadow shade such as black, dark brown, or grey. “The key to creating a smoky eye is to blend, blend, blend,” says beauty influencer and makeup artist Fawzia Ali. “Take your time blending the eyeshadow to create a seamless transition from the transition shade to the darker shade.”
Use a small, flat eyeshadow brush to apply the dark eyeshadow to the outer corner of your eyelid, and blend it inwards towards the center of your eyelid. Keep the majority of the color concentrated on the outer corner, and use a light hand as you blend inwards.
Step 4: Create a winged effect with eyeliner
To create the signature winged effect of side-eye makeup, use black eyeliner to line your upper lash line and extend it outward in a winged shape, following the same angle as the eyeshadow. Use a small, angled brush to create the wing, starting from the outer corner of your eye and extending it outwards.
Pro tip: If you’re new to creating winged eyeliner, try using a felt-tip eyeliner pen or a gel liner with a small brush for more control.
Step 5: Finishing touches
To complete the side eye makeup look, add mascara to your upper and lower lashes, and touch up any areas that need more blending or intensity. You can also add false lashes for an extra dramatic effect.
Pro tip: Use a clean spoolie brush to comb through your lashes after applying mascara to separate and define them.
And there you have it! With these five easy steps, you can achieve the perfect side-eye makeup look. Remember to practice and experiment with different eyeshadow colors and eyeliner techniques to find the look that works best for you.
Additional tips and tricks:
- Use a flat brush to pack on the eyeshadow for more intensity.
- Don’t be afraid to mix and match different eyeshadow
- Use a small, pointed brush to apply eyeshadow to the outer corner of your lower lash line for a more defined look.
- To make your eyes appear wider and brighter, apply a shimmery or metallic eyeshadow to the inner corner of your eye.
- If you want to make your side eye makeup look even more intense, use pencil eyeliner to line your waterline and tight line your upper lash line.
- For a more natural look, use brown or taupe eyeshadow instead of black for your smoky effect.
- Always blend your eyeshadow in circular motions to avoid harsh lines and create a seamless gradient effect.
- Use a translucent powder to set your makeup and prevent smudging and creasing throughout the day.
- If you make a mistake while applying your eyeliner, use a cotton swab dipped in makeup remover to clean it up without ruining your eyeshadow.
- Play around with different eyeliner shapes and angles to find the look that suits your eye shape and preference.
- Don’t forget to groom your eyebrows before applying your side eye makeup look to frame your face and enhance your overall look.
With these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to take your side eye makeup look to the next level and create a stunning, sultry effect that will turn heads wherever you go.
Also Read: 5 Eye Makeup Trends Set to Dominate in 2023
Side eye makeup is a versatile and dramatic look that can be customized to suit any occasion, mood, or style. By following these five easy steps and using the tips and tricks provided, you’ll be able to achieve the perfect side eye makeup look in no time.
Remember to practice and experiment with different eyeshadow colors, eyeliner shapes, and techniques to find the look that works best for you. With a little patience and creativity, you’ll be able to create a stunning side-eye makeup look that will leave a lasting impression.